From the July 3, 1896 edition of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle:
The Society of Old Brooklynites met in the hall of records last night. The principal business of the meeting was to indorse [sic] the movement of the Daughters of the Revolution to have the common council change the name of Washington park to Fort Greene.
See the article in its original format at the following link:
Want it Called Fort Greene (courtesy of the Brooklyn Public Library)